Federal Law Enforcement salary is a vast discipline that consists of no much less than 132,000 full-time federal regulation enforcement officials running in eighty-three national groups, in keeping with the Bureau of Justice Statistics. So what is the Federal Law Enforcement salary?
Even though authorities regulation enforcement jobs comply with a standardized earnings schedule, all the one groups have one-of-a-kind wishes particular to the enterprise’s unique orientation. With that one kind of necessity and need for their ranks’ officials, retailers, and investigators. So throughout all the one’s federal groups, you’ll discover regulation enforcement experts with one-of-a-kind obligations can be compensated pretty differently.
Federal Law Enforcement salary
Jobs falling below the federal regulation enforcement umbrella encompass the whole thing, from crook investigations to corrections to standard police patrol obligations to courtroom docket operations to investigations into excessive crimes associated with the entire thing, from fraud to crimes with country-wide safety implications. Many require top-stage safety clearances and superior degrees of schooling, and practical training.
But we’ve accomplished the legwork and feature damaged all of it down to help you better apprehend which federal groups appoint federal regulation enforcement officials and how they’re paid in every enterprise. Keep analyzing to study extra approximately in which a profession in federal regulation enforcement can take you and what kind of you’ll be paid while you get there:
Understanding the criteria and Federal Law Enforcement salary
First, a breakdown of which federal groups appoint federal regulation enforcement officials.
The immense majority of federal regulation enforcement officials paintings in the Department of Homeland Security (62,125) and the Department of Justice (43,666), with the final running in different govt branches, unbiased groups, and the judicial, and legislative branches.
Within the Department of Homeland Security, federal regulation enforcement officials Federal Law Enforcement salary the following departments/groups:
- Customs and Border Protection (37,482 regulation enforcement officials)
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (eleven,779)
- Secret Service (five,226)
- Federal Protective Service (900)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, Mount Weather Police (84)
Federal Law Enforcement salary
And in the Department of Justice, the following departments/groups appoint federal regulation enforcement officials, Federal Law Enforcement salary:
- Federal Bureau of Prisons (16,993)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (12,925)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (4,388)
- S. Marshals Service (three,359)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosive (2,562)
The Department of the Interior is every other federal enterprise wherein a wide variety of Federal Law Enforcement salaries:
- National Park Service Rangers (1,416)
- Fish and Wildlife Service (603)
- Park Police (547)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Justice Service (277)
- Bureau of Land Management (255)
- Bureau of Reclamation (21)
Thanks to the IRS Criminal Investigation Division, the Department of the Treasury is domestic to extra than three 3.000 Federal Law Enforcement salary officials:
- IRS, Criminal Investigations Division (2,655)
- S. Mint Police (316)
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police (207)
Other federal groups wherein Federal Law Enforcement salary officials paintings encompass:
- Department of Veterans Affairs Police Department (three,175)
- S. Postal Service, U.S. Postal Inspection Service (2,324)
- Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security (1,049)
- S. Capitol Police (1,637)
- Supreme Court of the U.S. (139)
- Tennessee Valley Authority Police (145)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Office of Protective Services (62)
- Government Publishing Office, Uniform Police Branch (41)
- Amtrak Police Department (305)
- Food and Drug Administration, Office of Criminal Investigation (187)
- National Institutes of Health, Division of Police (94)
- Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration (363)
- Department of Defense, Pentagon Force Protection Agency (725)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of Law Enforcement (154)
- Bureau of Industry and Security (103)
- Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (648)
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management oversees and keeps all Federal Law Enforcement salary tables, encompassing the usual salaries for federal authorities personnel.
Federal regulation enforcement officials, relying upon the enterprise wherein they paintings or the process in the enterprise (a few groups use a couple of pay tables), are paid the usage of one of the following pay tables:
GL – Law Enforcement Officer Pay Scale
Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) – The LEO pay scale is used for federal personnel who meet the definition of “regulation enforcement officer.”
The LEO pay scale consists of pay grades GL-three to GL-10, with ten pay steps inside every pay grade, despite the fact that maximum entry-regulation LEO positions begin on the GL-five/7 grade:
- GL-three: $28,770 – $35,961
- GL-4: $32,297 – $40,37
- GL-five: $37,141 – $46,177
- GL-6: $39,162 – $49,233
- GL-7: $42,273 – $53,460
- GL-eight: $44,064 – $56,457
- GL-9: $47,148 – $60,837
- GL-10: $51,921 – $66,996
Because the LEO payscale doesn’t increase past the GL-10 stage, in lots of groups, like Customs and Border Protection, regulation enforcement officials pass to the General Schedule-eleven pay grade when they give past the GL-10 quality.
ISLE (Inspection Service Law Enforcement) Pay Scale
One of the most effective outliers in phrases of pay are postal inspectors via the U.S. Postal Service. These federal regulation enforcement officials are paid the usage of an ISLE (Inspection Service Law Enforcement) pay scale, just like the LEO pay scale. This one-of-a-kind pay scale displays the U.S. Postal Service’s position as an unbiased authorities corporation.
Federal Salaries: GS – General Schedule Classification
General Schedule (GS) – The GS pay scale is the most often used for federal personnel and includes 15 pay grades with ten pay steps inside every angle. In general, national groups adhere to the subsequent variety:
- GS-five to GS-7: Most entry-stage positions
- GS-eight to GS-12: Mid-stage positions
- GS-thirteen to GS-15: Top-stage supervisory positions
As of 2020, the GS pay scale protected the subsequent earnings ranges:
- GS-five: $30,113 – $39,149
- GS-6: $33,567 – $43,638
- GS-7: $37,301 – $48,488
- GS-eight: $41,310 – $53,703
- GS-9: $45,627 – $59,316
- GS-10: $50,246 – $65,321
- GS-eleven: $55,204 – $71,764
- GS-12: $66,167 – $86,021
- GS-thirteen: $78,681 – $102,288
- GS-14: $92,977 – $120,868
- GS-15: $109,366 – $142,810
Factors That Influence Salaries Among Law Enforcement Officers
Base Federal Law Enforcement salary frequently constitutes only a part of a federal regulation enforcement officer’s earnings. Here’s why:
The federal authorities’ General Schedule (GS) and Federal Law Enforcement salary (LEO) pay tables also encompass locality pay tables for particular states and metro regions in the U.S., A, which has substantially better dwelling fees than the country-wide average.
Law enforcement officials running in this kind of region are paid the usage of the relevant locality pay desk that displays this better price of dwelling.
For example, the GL-five earnings variety is $37,141 – $46,177; however, withinside the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area ($46,419 – $56,457) and Las Vegas metro area ($43,708 – $53,160), it’s a lot better, as each of those metro regions has a better price of dwelling than the countrywide average.
“Premium pay” amongst federal regulation enforcement officials is not unusual and consists of better salaries while running Sunday, holiday, and nighttime shifts.
“Availability pay” (frequently referred to as LEAP – regulation enforcement availability pay) will also be paid out to federal regulation enforcement officials who’re labeled as crook investigators or recreation regulation enforcement officials. For example, the FBI’s unique retailers consider crook investigators. Because of the full-size hours, crook investigators are frequently required to paint; an enterprise can also offer them availability pay, which is 25% of their base earnings.